This is for the Rice Queens
The ones who live life like the international food aisle at Loblaws
Picking and choosing - consuming and using.
The ones who feel entitled to step to me and ask 21 questions on my ethnicity.
So you can play mix and match?
My ethnicity and -
Appropriate racist compliment?
My ethnicity and -
Your ex-boyfriend? Or that friend of a friend of a friend of yours who works in accounting who also happens to be Filipino?
Because yes. Of course I would know them. I see them every Sunday at the meetings.
This is for the Rice Queens
The ones who say you Filipino boys are so beautiful.
You have such smooth skin, exotic eyes and sensual bodies.
And you’re all bottoms.
My skin is not soft because I am Asian.
It’s because I moisturize.
And when will you realize that race has nothing to do with sexual position!
Maybe I’m lazy and I just like to lay there.
Oh, and it’s not a “preference” if you reference my culture or race
but of course you say
“That’s just what I’m sexually attracted to - what am I supposed to do?”
Newsflash. Your genitals can be racist too.
This is for the Rice Queens
The ones who want to save the Filipino boys that nobody wants
because we’re too feminine and have small cocks.
My body is not an accessory you can use to validate your sense of Masculinity.
I am not some submissive boy shipped across the water bent over on his knees looking for a lord and master.
I am sun-kissed, mestizo born and complicated like 7000 islands.
Resistance is the legacy of my people and land - cuz if the Spanish, Japanese and Americans couldn’t do it…What makes you think you can?
This is for the Rice Queens
The ones with the cold eyes, fair hair and pale skin.
Because boys who look like me were never meant to win
Boys who look like me are supposed to be grateful to have your attention
that we exist only when you hold us
that substance, meaning and worth can only be found when you bend us over and fuck us
This…is for boys like me
Boys dancing in the dark
boys who have settled for less because we have always been told that we are worth less.
So we searched for something, something that would bring us to light some white prize with blonde hair and blue eyes and they told us that this…this would bring us to light like some Pinocchio porcelain child.
But the truth to this journey is
I have always been beautiful.
And I didn’t need to hear it from that white guy or that white guy or that white guy.
I have always been beautiful.
We have always been beautiful.
We deserve ourselves and we deserve each other.
This is for boys like me.
In the aftermath of George Zimmerman’s acquittal on all charges related to the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, the continued racial profiling of young black men has become even bigger news than usual. On Tuesday, Essence Magazine launched a social media campaign called #HeIsNotASuspect to challenge the negative images of young black men in the media. Its aim is to end racial profiling by targeting the often unacknowledged victims of violence targeted at young black men: the black mothers, grandmothers, aunties, sisters, and girlfriends who are often left behind to pick up the pieces.
So far, the campaign has unearthed beautiful images and declarations of love. Check them out after the jump.
The examples below are only illustrations of some of the ways people still benefit from racism:
- Your name. If it sounds Irish, Polish, French, Spanish, Belgian, Norwegian — no problem. Our names, if they sound “black”, are often reasons to toss our resumes without even calling us. If we resort to our initials, or names that do not “sound black”, then you can see the surprise on the interviewer’s face when they encounter a non-white face. It doesn’t matter that you didn’t pick your name, your parents picked it. It doesn’t matter that you don’t think it’s fair (and it’s NOT) that a Rebecca will get looked at before a Tamika; a Bobby before a Kwesi. You’re still benefitting from racism just by not being a person who can be identified as not-white by the name on your resume.
- Your pay. PoC, on average, get paid less to do the same job as anyone white (or white passing)
- The jobs themselves: Carnival’s failboat is a prime example. White-looking people get the good, customer interacting jobs, the ones that pay the most. PoC get the jobs that involve bussing tables, cleaning toilets, garbage, etc, and have to hope their meager pay is supported by generous tips. But any hotel or office building can shows the same breakdown.
- Your fashions: Your hair, whether it is curly, fine, thin, short, or long, is still considered appropriate for work. It’s getting to the point where even anime colours are not looked askance at anymore. Our hair, when not abused with chemicals and heat, is usually considered “political” if we wear it in a natural style. Or “unprofessional”. There are no less than 3 men on the supervisory and management teams at my job who cut off their locks because they knew that they would never progress with their ambitions unless they conformed to Corporate’s euro-style. That’s having to give up something with a cultural meaning to them in order to have a job they want and can do. I can’t count the number of women who, rather than go natural, have chosen to wear wigs to work, because either option is cheaper and less painful than bi-weekly trips to a hairdresser to chemically treat or heat treat their hair to make it look more like European hair.
- Shopping: If your skin is light enough, you can walk into a store and be treated like a customer. When the clerk, salesgirl, or whomever greets you with a smile and a “can I help you?” they mean it. They hope to find something you’ll spend your money on. And they will let you get on with your browsing. Not us PoC. When we walk in, we are often told, “can I help you?” with that same smile, but with practice we have learned to see the apologetic wince in the body language that means [sorry, but my bosses tell everyone to shadow you in the store in case you’re a thief]. And since a lot of white people, or white-passing people know this, the store gets robbed by the ones they’re not looking at. Doesn’t matter if you’re not really stealing. You benefit by being treated better just because of how you look.
- Shopping: Walk into a drugstore, a Wal-Mart, a Target, or a supermarket one day and check how many products there are for “everyone” vs how many products there are in the “ethnic hair care and/or cosmetics” section. Doesn’t matter that you like shea butter too. You benefit in that all the products are assumed to be okay for you, and the products marketed to us are a niche. Diversity is an afterthought. In skin and hair and face, you benefit by being treated as the default and the first type any company considers when they choose to whom to market their product.
- Driving: The term “driving while black” is shorthand for the fact that police, if seeing a black person — particularly a man — driving a car they think he should not be able to afford — he’ll get pulled over on suspicion of having stolen it, or only being able to afford it through being a drug dealer. You benefit bybeing able to drive your BMW or Mercedes home without anyone assuming anything about you. Real drug dealers benefit by being able to drive their cars full of cocaine home without being bothered by the police.
- Arrest: If you’re white, you can be as “fight the power” as you like. You benefit by the police being unwilling to knock around anyone white because you never know who has powerful relatives or friends. If you’re a person of color, you gotta go “yes officer” and loudly and politely and cooperate as noisily and clearly as you can, and you better pray somebody is videoing you, because if you sneeze, if you twitch, the police may decide you’re going for a gun and unload their entire clip on you.
- Just existing: Trayvon Martin is a prime example. He was visiting his father in the complex, but George Zimmerman didnt know that. And didn’t care. He also didn’t care that the police told him to not follow the unidentified Person of Color walking home with his hands in his pockets and his hood up (like anyone might in the rain). Mr. Zimmerman was convinced he was protecting his neighborhood from hoods and thieves and just bad black kids. That Japanese college student who turned up at the wrong address for a Halloween party and was shot dead without the homeowner even asking him anything is another good example. And the person who recently shot a Latin@ for daring to use his driveway as a turnaround. Then there’s the esteemed Ivy League professor who got harassed by the police trying to get into his own house. As a person who is or looks white, you benefit by never, ever having to worry that this will happen to you or anyone who looks like you .
- Your education: You can complain all you like about a Black History Month when there are History Months for multiple other White ethnicities and cultures. A quick google search will reveal them. That being said, the shortest month is given to Black People for their history. And our history is ignored entirely except during our month, even though there are Black and African people who have made significant contributions to American Industry, medicine, and countless other fields of study. You benefit by continuing to look good while the accomplishments of PoC (NDN and Latin@ and Asians) all get downplayed, glossed over, or flat out not mentioned at all.
Reproduction: The issue of “choice” aside, white or white-passing people benefit from racism in that you do not have to worry that some doctor will decide to do a tubal ligation on you without your permission. White or white-passing people are not generally put on anti-choice billboards implying that white people are genociding themselves as PoC are.
Health: White and white-passing people will never have to worry about being told their conditions are a result of “ghetto booty”. Whites and white-passing people need not be concerned that their health issues will be scoffed at or ignored.
Entertainment: Whites and white-passing people can get any role in any film, play, or other medium they like. Jewish Henry Winkler played Italian Arthur Fonzarelli. The new TMNT movie has chosen a white actor to play the Japanese Shredder. PoC are relegated to the roles of villains, servants, and buffoons. And this is not a case of “they just chose the right person for the role”. Hollywood will advertise for casting calls, specifying they want “caucasian only”. They don’t offer the opportunity to anyone who isn’t white. And when PoC are cast in heroic roles, or roles that have previously been “white” roles, there is a huge hue and cry because those who are used to the privilege of being the first, the go to, are unhappy that they no longer benefit from that privileged position.
PoC usually show up in certain sports, and when they dare step out of their lane, they are mocked for it. Google “Jamaican bobsled team”. See how the Wiliams sisters are treated. Their response in victory is likened to making gang signs. White people can go into any sport they want and no one will question or challenge them for such audacity.
Religion: Christianity in its many forms, as practised by white and white-passing people is another way in which white and white-passing people benefit from racism. Your sacred ceremonies and meaningful prayers are treated with respect. NDN people were forbidden from practising their religion until the 1940s. PoC churches, even now, in 2013, are treated as tourist attractions for white people with money. And voudoun and other PoC religions are treated as savage and incomprehensible.
City Life: Gentrification. By definition, it means “making fit for the Gentry”. The Gentry are those with high societal position, next-best-thing to royalty. So Gentrifying anyplace means pushing out anyone who isn’t as high, in order to make room for the gentry. That means building up corporate influence, and pushing out PoC from their existing and established communities. So in a gentrified community, whites and those who look white benefit at the expense of PoC.
Big Brother 15 (US)
This was one of the hardest scenes i’ve ever watched on tv, it’s was heartbreaking as fuck to watch two black people resort to tears because they didn’t want to give into the stereotype that follows when a black person gets upset.
Watching her cry and talk about how she’d had enough of white housemates taunt her, call her “Sheniqua” and tell her that she was about to “get black” and flip her mattress off of the box-spring, throw her belongings to the ground, and three of them at the same time bully her until she almost got to the point of getting violent because she’d had enough and felt so threatened. A black man who’d grown up in the south knew better than to leave her in that situation he had to physically pick her up and take her out of the room.
Had to be carried to the Have Not room, a room known basically as the punishment room. A room that most of this season has been dominated by POC and minorities that the rest of the house deemed “unworthy” or just didn’t like to be calmed down. He had to talk her down, telling her that if there was one person in the house he was going out protecting it would be her, his fellow black woman. He’d gladly throw away money to protect her and make sure no one did something to her. He told her he’d give up a bed so she could sleep in it and not have to worry about those girls. She’d said she was tired of this behavior and the comments and why should they have to back down, that they should retaliate, that they shouldn’t be weak.
She was Malcolm X in the situations while he was preaching to her like Martin Luther King Jr.
He said they had to act better than them because all eyes were on them, they had to stay calm. And thats when she broke down and cried and sobbed in his arms, while he was barely able to control his anger towards that side of the house for doing that to her. They both sat their in tears, praying to God to give them the strength to get through the rest of this competition without blowing up.
They had to decide to back down against the enemy instead of give them a taste of their own medicine. They decided to be better than that situation, I applaud them for being so strong.
It was a hard scene to watch and go through as a woman of color. It was a hard fucking scene.
But when are you white people gonna stop this shit..
Also, when are white people going to stop saying if not for this program, seeing the abuse for themselves they’d keep thinking minorities were overreacting to micro-aggressions of stuff. Do you people not realize that this is a real person going through this? That if you would just listen to PoC when they tell you this shit, they wouldn’t have to be continually traumatized by your racism and collusion with a system of white supremacy?
also, the bold really bothers me, but I don’t feel like going in on why.
note: I’m not talking to anyone in this convo above with that first paragraph. I don’t think any of us are white.
I agree, Frank-E.
But I’ll scratch the surface, because I don’t have the patience for hand holding over this (not saying you are, saying I don’t have the patience to go as deep as I could/should).
But basically: You’re not seeing them be “strong.” Or, perhaps more accurately, you’re seeing the strength in their human frailty. Which, okay, kudos you finally see Black folks’/POC’s humanity, but why does it take TELEVISED HARASSMENT to understand that this is everyday?
Aaryn (in particular, because I don’t watch the show, but I’ve been getting filled in and seeing stuff around) is not that subtle (to my mind) as to be described as perpetuating microaggressions. If anything, what she’s exemplifying is WWT and Liberal racism. To her, Aaryn, it’s a joke. She thinks (and I’ve seen her actually, literally, say the words) that because she doesn’t say anything “explicitly” racist, she’s in the all clear. However, everything else is blatantly racially motivated. Aaryn’s not just a bully who happens to pay a little extra focus on the WOC in the cast (she’s said some shit about Julie Chen as well). She’s a racist who thinks she can skirt recognition of her acts.
So yeah, you’re seeing strength, and kudos for you to recognize it OP, but it’s not just choosing to “be better” than the “bully.” The advice to “be better,” the necessity for corralling their emotions, these are survival tactics. It’s not “turn the other cheek” it’s “Don’t engage because it could mean your physical safety.”
When you have CHILDREN being murdered on the street for just breathing while being Black, you think a Black person who loses their cool is safe? (both literally and metaphorically/metaphysically)
And since Trayvon was accused for being a “Thug” and a “threat” for wearing gold teeth, smoking weed, sticking up the middle finger, so will Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber for smoking weed, wearing gold teeth, twerking, and doing gang signs[Side eyeing Justin Bieber]. Because apparently when Miley and Justin do it, they’re “experimenting”, “going through a phase” or “being teenagers”
OK sports fans—-TIME FOR GODDAMN RANTS AND CATHARSIS.
1. Hey white folks: I don’t need your goddamn studied contrition and guilt. I NEED YOU TO CUSS THE NEXT MOTHERFUCKER OUT WHO DEFENDS THAT BASTARD ZIMMERMAN or any other KKK-ass sociopath/vigilante in the news. I don’t give a damn if the apologist is your mama or your big macho brother or your boss or your favorite uncle—-CUSS THAT MOTHERFUCKER OUT IF YOU CLAIM TO CARE ABOUT HUMANITY. Cuss ‘em out right at the water cooler, the golf course, the Lexus/Cadillac showroom, and the Thanksgiving table. Can you do that? Good.
2. Dear NC Moral Mondays attendees: STOP MOURNING THE DEMOCRACY AND FREEDOM WE NEVER FUCKING HAD IN NORTH CAROLINA. This is the state that orchestrated the Wilmington Massacre, the Greensboro Massacre, that fucking sterilized poor women, disabled women, rape survivors, and Black/Indigenous women without their fucking consent. The state that instituted racist-ass right-to-work laws, that locked up Black boys for kissing white girls, that MURDERED WORKERS trying to organize their goddamn workplace, that sicced a rapist fucking prick of a jail guard after Joan Little. That doled out billions of dollars in corporate welfare for decades BEFORE Puppet Pat McCrory and Pope Arthur the King took over, and killed hundreds of poor people (mostly Black) on death row. THAT ELECTED THAT EVIL BASTARD-ASS QUEER-BAITING, FASCIST-DEFENDING, SLUMLORD OF A SLAVEMASTER JESSE HELMS MULTIPLE TIMES TO THE US SENATE. Do you really miss that North Carolina? I fucking don’t. Good fucking riddance to that North Carolina—-FOREVER.
3. I don’t EVER want to see signs in retail stores/nightclubs/schools/restaurants banning hoodies, sweatshirts, sneakers, backpacks, bandanas, or other clothing associated with Black male/masculine-of-center youth EVER FUCKING AGAIN. YOU HEAR ME? If I do, a store manager or owner is getting cussed the fuck out. Unless jackasses ban briefcase-sized purses and reusable shopping bags from their stores, I don’t want to fucking hear it.
4. WHAT THE HELL DO YOU PLAN TO DO ABOUT ECONOMIC APARTHEID, WHITE FOLKS? The wealth gap between white folks and colonized people FUELS the criminalization that Trayvon Martin, Oscar Grant, and all Black/colonized people face. It fuels the prison industry and the surveillance state (HELLO THERE OBAMA—-YA BASTARD!) that regulates our daily lives. And worst, economic apartheid fractures the community bonds between colonized people—-especially within families of origin. Now, SINCE Y’ALL GOOD WHITE FOLKS DIRECTLY BENEFIT FROM ECONOMIC APARTHEID, I THINK Y’ALL SHOULD PROBABLY DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. DON’T YOU?
5. White folks who claim to love me: STOP TALKING TO ME LIKE I’M YOUR FAVORITE PICKANNINY SERVANT GIRL. I’m a fucking thirty-five year old grown-ass woman. I’m a smart, competent, complicated-as-fuck human being. I’d like you to start treating me as such. If you can’t do that, DON’T CALL ME YOUR FRIEND OR COMRADE, aiight?
***WE NOW CONCLUDE OUR RANT OF CATHARSIS FOR THE DAY***
Yolanda Carrington via Facebook
17 year old Trayvon Martin went to the store around 7pm on February 26, 2012. He purchased an ice tea and a bag of skittles and left the store for his house. George Zimmerman, neighborhood watch, saw this young black male and followed him. A police dispatcher told him not to but he continued. George Zimmerman shot Trayvon Martin. Trayvon Martin died. And a jury in Florida just found George Zimmerman “not guilty” and George Zimmerman is now a free man.
You will hear “no one can be sure what exactly happened that night” from the media, from your co-workers, from your friends, from your family. But you can tell them “no.” Regardless of what other various details from that night will forever be known only by George Zimmerman and a dead child, you know exactly what happened that night. George Zimmerman stalked, shot, and killed an unarmed black teenager trying to make it home from the store. And now he will go free.
Listen, I don’t care about those who are content with the results of the trial. I don’t care about those who believe George Zimmerman is innocent “simply based on the evidence available to us.” That’s fine. Whatever. But that’s not what you will see here.
Usually, I put these posts together and at least try to get you through the whole thing by mocking these shit heads. I’m in no mood tonight. Judging from all the status updates, tweets, etc. I’m seeing and all the submissions I’m receiving, I’m sure this will not be the last post on this subject.
Anyway, here’s your “post-racial America”…
T.E.N. - THIS ENDS NOW
This Ends Now is part of a campaign to raise awareness for racial and cultural profiling, youth violence, and respect. So join the movement!!!
"HELLO. I AM ONE CALLING OUT T.E.N.
WILL YOU HAVE THE COURAGE TO STAND UP AND DECLARE “T.E.N.”?
NOW IS THE TIME WE FOCUS ON THE YOUTH OF OUR COMMUNITY AND STOP YOUTH ON YOUTH CRIME.
NOW IS THE TIME WE LET THE AUTHORITIES KNOW…
THAT WE RESPECT THEIR AUTHORITY…
AND IN TURN WANT THE AUTHORITIES TO RESPECT US.
NOW WE CAN STAND UP ONE BY ONE AND DECLARE T.E.N.
JOIN THE MOVEMENT. POST YOUR VIDEO DECLARING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
TELL THE WORLD HOW YOU ARE WORKING TO USE YOUR SINGLE VOICE TO DECLARE “T.E.N.”
USE THE HASHTAG “TEN” AND PUT YOUR COMMUNITY ON NOTICE THAT THIS ENDS NOW!’
Written & Produced by JVM Productions firstname.lastname@example.org
Produced & Directed by NDR Communications email@example.com
Nikita worked on this after the Gabby Calhoun (Justice For Gabby) situation happened in Bloomington, and it’s just as pertinent right now. Please signal boost.
George Zimmerman has been found not guilty of murdering the unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin in Florida. Many Americans were not shocked. And there’s a good reason why. Hard data shows that recent U.S. laws make it easy for blacks to be gunned down without anyone being found guilty of murder.
Last year, PBS Frontline published a fascinating analysis of how murder convictions have been affected by “Stand Your Ground” laws like the one that protected Zimmerman. The study was conducted by John Roman, a senior analyst at Urban Institute’s Justice Policy Center who had previously conducted studies on the statistical relationships between race and homicide in the United States.
AND THEN THERE’S THIS SHIT. Where’s the NAACP petition for her? Or Cece McDonald? Goddamn can someone explain to me what the fuck is going on around here?!
Fuck this shit.
i was just gonna delete this and walk away
but you fucking know what
here it is
here’s post-racial america
racism is over
thank god we dealt with that problem
In reference to this new story: Black 14-year-old Carrying a Puppy Tackled and Choked by Police for Giving Them a “Dehumanizing Stare”