Today In Black History: February 18, 1934 & February 18, 1931 - Authors Audre Lorde and Toni Morrison are born.
Audre Lorde was pivotal in the development of the theory of intersectionality of oppression. She criticized the feminist movements of the 1960s for only focusing on the experiences of middle-class white women and presenting these experiences as universal.
She is often quoted from her essay “The Master’s Tools Will Never Dismantle the Master’s House,” found in her collection Sister Outsider.
"What does it mean when the tools of a racist patriarchy are used to examine the fruits of that same patriarchy? It means that only the most narrow perimeters of change are possible and allowable."
A Brooklyn, New York-based organization for queer people of color, the Audre Lorde Project, was founded in 1994.
Toni Morrison is a Nobel Prize-winning author of now-classic books such as The Bluest Eye (1970), about a young Black girl named Pecola after the Great Depression who develops an inferiority complex because of her eyes and skin, and Beloved (1987), inspired by the story of a slave, Margaret Garner, who temporarily escaped slavery in 1856 by fleeing across state borders. Beloved won a Pulitzer Prize for fiction as well as the American Book Award.
In 1993, Morrison won the Nobel Prize in Literature: Toni Morrison, “who in novels characterized by visionary force and poetic import, gives life to an essential aspect of American reality,” the citation reads. She is presently the last American to have been awarded this honor.
In May of 2012, Morrison was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
(And seriously, why isn’t this a national holiday?)
- poeticallyhighdreams reblogged this from ianthe
- femilesblackpower likes this
- pudica-girl likes this
- softtangles reblogged this from queennubian
- coorio reblogged this from rune-midgarts
- afrikashjunglegym likes this
- dancinghathor likes this
- nappysupastar likes this
- guildeartistcollective reblogged this from theblackcommunist
- auntbodieclectic likes this
- the-nomadic-writer likes this
- bayouprincess likes this
- arobynsung reblogged this from nabyss
- blackonyxisland likes this
- mygirlheroes reblogged this from itskindoflikenooksandcrannies
- bound4greatness likes this
- thunderkat86 reblogged this from darkmistressoftheuniverse
- thunderkat86 likes this
- greencoffeemug likes this
- biomythography likes this
- nabyss reblogged this from bana05
- redblackandgrey likes this
- atributetoorange reblogged this from stopwhitewashing
- awkward-poo likes this
- sassyblackfemale reblogged this from handgrenade2
- laflordeltamarindo likes this
- garishvakarian likes this
- blacktingedviolet reblogged this from queennubian
- lobitalolita likes this
- slimjims27 likes this
- crooked-boy reblogged this from popularslutclub
- dylanweir likes this
- chelbell3 reblogged this from manicpixiedreambakla
- wherethequeerthingsare likes this
- getcharriedaway likes this
- gatheringofstories likes this
- theymightbebeatles likes this
- theknowledgeofsecrets likes this
- darkmistressoftheuniverse reblogged this from stopwhitewashing
- thisblackwitch reblogged this from rune-midgarts
- auroraluminous reblogged this from nowherezone11
- ealperin likes this
- visirion reblogged this from stopwhitewashing
- error-drift-incompatible reblogged this from jodielandon
- dirtygem reblogged this from jalwhite
- songstersmiscellany reblogged this from goddessdster
- songstersmiscellany likes this
- sordaradical likes this
- igelahnlich likes this
- brosesb likes this